Red Earth Running Co. is excited to announce we will again co-sponsor the upcoming Canyon X Half Marathon, hosted by our good friend and brand ambassador Harold Bennally (Navajo).
ABOUT THE RACE
Canyon X Half Marathon started as a fundraising event to support Harold‘s successful effort to run the entire 2019 Boston Marathon in Navajo moccasins, traditional footwear Navajo people have worn for generations. The first Canyon X Half Marathon was so well attended it’s back for a second time by popular demand and we hope it will continue to grow to an annual race.
The race is centered around Canyon X, which is located on the Navajo Nation and deep within the iconic Antelope Canyon. It is, however, a more remote and less visited area than Upper Antelope Canyon. Canyon X, a pristine narrow slot canyon, is more than 180 ft. deep. The canyon is named after the X’s carved into the Navajo Sandstone from millions of years of windfall and rain.
LOCATION AND TIME
The half marathon will start at 8:30am on Saturday, November 2, 2019 in LeChee, AZ. There will also be a 1-mile race that starts at 9am. The start line is near mile post 308 on Highway 98.
The entire race course is located on Navajo Nation lands. Runners can plan and prepare for a race course with sand, double track roads, ATV trails, washes, slot canyons, and up to an 1800 foot ascent. Aid stations with water and electrolyte drinks will be set up along the course at 4.3 miles, 6.9 miles, and 9.3 miles.
Weather and forecast information will be updated when we get closer to the day of the race.
All Half Marathon finishers will receive a Navajo hand made award. We will also have Herbert Stash air brushed pottery awards for:
Top 4 male and female overall; and
Top 3 male and female in 5 age group categories.
POST RACE MEAL
A post race meal will be available for spectators and runners. Harold’s family will be onsite cooking some delicious Navajo foods. The menu previously included mutton stew and Navajo fry bread.
It’s important to respect the lands we are visiting and to help maintain their natural beauty. This is a zero waste and cup free event. To reduce waste and environmental impact, we will supply dishes for the post race meal. We are requesting runners please help us create a zero waste event by bringing their own bottles for fluids. Also, whatever items (e.g. food, packaging) runners bring onto the trail and into the canyon please carry them out with you.
Airport options for flying to cities within driving distances to Page, AZ include:
- McCarran International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas, NV. LAS is about a 4 hour and 24 minutes drive to Page, AZ;
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) in Phoenix, AZ. PHX is about a 4 hour and 9 minutes drive to Page, AZ;
- Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA or IWA) in Mesa, AZ. AZA/IWA is about a 4 hour and 44 minutes drive to Page, AZ; and
- Flagstaff Pulliam Airport (FLG) in Flagstaff, AZ. FLG is about a 2 hour and 13 minutes drive to Page, AZ.
Participants are responsible for arranging their own transportation from airports to the race location. Shuttle services are not available. All airports have car rental services.
DRIVING TO PAGE, AZ
Las Vegas, NV to start line at LeChee Rock:
- Drive East to St.George, to Hurricane, to Kanab, then toward Lake Powell on highway 89. Enter Page, AZ and make LEFT on highway 98 towards the East for 13 miles to mile marker 308. The start and finish line is on the RIGHT side of the road at dirt parking lot marked as Antelope Canyon X tour parking.
Phoenix, AZ area to start line at LeChee Rock:
- Drive North on I-17 to Flagstaff, head North to Page, AZ on highway 89, getting into Page, AZ take a RIGHT on Highway 98 to head East for 11 miles to mile post 308. Start and finish line is on the RIGHT side of the road at dirt parking lot marked as the Antelope Canyon X tour parking.
There are several hotels and lodging accommodations located in Page, AZ. The hotels offering discounts for this event will be included in the confirmation email for race registration.
Events like the Canyon X Half Marathon require a lot of volunteers to be safe and successful. There are many different ways to help before the event and on race day. If you have an interest in helping to make the Canyon X Half Marathon a success, please contact race director Harold Bennally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The run is strictly limited to 200 people. Registration is open at Ultra Signup until November 1 or until spots are filled. Last race, spots filled before the race registration closed so we recommend signing up early to claim your spot.
Information for the event will be updated regularly as it becomes available. You can find updates for the Canyon X Half Marathon on this site and at the race registration page on Ultra Signup. For more information, please contact race director Harold Bennally: email@example.com
Canyon X Half Marathon is made possible by the generous contributions and support from several sponsors including: